S03 Episode 112 | NEO•THREAD, ONE-OF-A-KIND GEMS + COOL GIRLS CARE
In episode 112, Kestrel welcomes Sarah Holley Gonzales, the owner + creator of neo•thread, to the show. An Albuquerque-based brand, neo•thread is dedicated to transforming discarded clothing into fresh, one-of-a-kind pieces.
"It was actually my Dad that taught me how to sew when I was little. And, even greater than how to work a machine, he taught me how to find beauty in the resources available - specifically, things that people would discard."
-Sarah Holley Gonzales, founder of neo•thread
In this episode, Sarah shares more about what inspired her to build neo•thread, and how she took the leap from a "real job" to purseing her dream job. Also, Sarah tells a powerful story about how her Dad taught her to sew + be resourceful as a child, and how that has influenced the way she values used things.
While neo•thread's branding approach is that "cool girls care," it was surprising to learn that Sarah's shoppers aren't generally sustainably or ethically minded when they make their first purchase with her. For these shoppers, connecting with neo•thread has given them the opportunity to learn more about the realities of the fashion industry, and get educated about the issues.
The below thoughts, ideas + organizations were brought up in this chat:
- "Our culture is all about before + afters ... whether it's fitness or home decor ... whatever it is, we're all about before + afters, so people really attach to that and they love that."
- "People hear upcycling and they think old and tired, and I want to be the exact opposite of that. I want to be youth, fun, celebratory - it's gotta be new life - neo•thread is all about new life."
- "Just because something's cheap, does not mean you should buy it."
- "We don't understand that a lot of times when we buy cheap, we aren't being resourceful."
- Conscious Chatter Episode with Cotopaxi: listen here >
This week's Conscious Chatter episode is brought to you by:
GlobeIn offers subscription boxes that showcase artisan products. Additionally, their platform gives shoppers access unique food and lifestyle products while supporting artisans from remote regions.
Searching for a gift? For Mother's Day, a birthday or a thank you?
Shop Kestrel's Faves From GlobeIn
Thanks for listening! Subscribe, download, and leave a review for Conscious Chatter on iTunes if you get a chance. I big time appreciate your support! <3 Kestrel