Episode 126 | NISOLO + HOLISTIC DEVELOPMENT
In episode 126, Kestrel welcomes Zoe Cleary, the cofounder of Nisolo, as well as Matt Stockamp, the Impact Associate at Nisolo, to the show. A fashion company known for their hip, fairly made shoes, Nisolo's mantra is: Intentionally designed. Ethically made. Fairly priced.
"Our mission has really been to kind of bridge the gap between the end consumer + the producer, and show how you can make a positive or a negative impact into producers lives. And to have that conversation going - for the consumer to feel like they understand where their products are really from, and the importance of the role that they can really play in that."
-Zoe Cleary, Cofounder of Nisolo
In this episode, Zoe shares her unique story, and what led her to shift away from the conventional fashion industry. She also shares the background of how she first connected with her cofounder over a 4-hour Skype call, that pushed her to buy a ticket to Peru to meet him, and then, quickly after - she quit her job in New York to move to Peru to help build Nisolo.
Also, Zoe shares more on how Nisolo has grown over the years - after starting with 4 shoemakers, they now have 80 full-time shoemakers working in the factory that they own and operate.
To keep customers + other up-to-date, Nisolo shares an Impact Report regularly through their website. Matt shares more on this and the additional programs that Nisolo is working on to offset their carbon footprint, as well as close the loop in their supply chain.
The below thoughts, ideas + organizations were brought up in this chat:
- Good World Solutions, Matt had a social entrepreneurship fellowship with them during university
- About 80% of Nisolo's products are made in their factory in Trujillo, Peru
- Nisolo & Ecosphere+ Partnership
- Nisolo's Impact Report
- "45% of our producers who are working with us have never held a formal job in the economy before. This is the first time that they're receiving a stable salary, this is the first time that they are receiving benefits."
- 2020 Circular Fashion System Commitment by Global Fashion Agenda, Nisolo has signed it
- Soles4Souls, Nisolo's partner for their takeback program
BONUS FROM NISOLO
"Here's Why We Think Sustainable Fashion Is A Moving Target"
In a recent conversation with Kestrel Jenkins, of Conscious Chatter, she argued that we should stop trying to define something that is constantly evolving. The beauty of being part of a growing section of the industry is that there is still so much more to discover and create! If we try to find a specific explanation now, we will be ending our journey before we’ve even begun.
Thanks for listening! Subscribe, download, and leave a review for Conscious Chatter on iTunes if you get a chance. I big time appreciate your support! <3 Kestrel