S03 Episode 109 | FINERY + MAKING USE OF THE WARDROBE YOU HAVE
In episode 109, Kestrel welcomes actor and model Brooklyn Decker, and former ABC & CNN anchor Whitney Casey to show. The cofounders of FINERY, Brooklyn + Whitney have built the world’s first wardrobe operating system that reinvents how women view and interact with their closets, and style themselves.
"Women will spend more money on their clothing than their education [in their lifetime]."
-Brooklyn Decker, cofounder of Finery
In this episode, Brooklyn and Whitney share a bit about how they ended up building a company focused on fashion - turns out, for both of them, it wasn't really the fashion industry that drew them in. Instead, they were interested in helping women's lives become a bit easier.
Additionally, Brooklyn and Whitney share some of their thoughts on where they hope to take Finery in the future. It looks like not only is helping women utilize what's in their closet a priority, but also, helping women find ways to put the clothes they aren't using back into the system.
Wondering about that outfit Whitney mentioned in the show? The one she created by breathing new life into the suit she's had for 12 years? Here it is, looking extra chic.
And here's the look on FINERY ...
The below thoughts, ideas + organizations were brought up in this chat:
- Mint, Slice, Tripit: apps that also help simplify your life
- "On average, women only wear 20% of their wardrobe."
- "Half a trillion dollars worth of clothes are hanging unworn in our closets."
- "A detailed survey of almost 2,000 women aged over 16 found that most fashion purchases see the light of day just seven times." (stat Kestrel mentioned - was featured in Daily Mail in 2015)
- "We’re not trying to say, ‘Don’t buy anything.’ We are trying to make you really optimize what you have." - from the below article in Business of Fashion
- "Finery Aims to Succeed Where Other Virtual Closets Have Not", article from Business of Fashion
- The RealReal, Vestiaire, thredUP, Tradesy (secondhand platforms mentioned)
- Explore more about FINERY here >
Recommended Artist From The Intro: Mona Chalabi
(found via Brother Vellies)
Thanks for listening! Subscribe, download, and leave a review for Conscious Chatter on any of the below audio platforms. <3 Kestrel