S02 Episode 93 | COYUCHI + THEIR CIRCULAR SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE
In episode 93, Kestrel welcomes Eileen Mockus, the CEO of Coyuchi, and Margot Lyons, Coyuchi’s Sustainability + Production Manager to the show. A home textile company that is committed to using minimally processed organic & natural fibers, Coyuchi also has a human commitment to the hands that touch each product.
"We do sense that the customer is looking for newness, and this allows them to have that newness but at the same time, gives us the ability to take that product back and do something else with it."
-Eileen Mockus, CEO of Coyuchi on Coyuchi For Life
Throughout this episode, Kestrel explores Coyuchi's evolving business model with Eileen and Margot. They also focus on the complexities of finding organic linen, and how Coyuchi discovered a small group of farmers in Europe who are growing organic flax, and using it as a rotational crop. Apparently, the organic flax regenerates their fields for the organic food crops that are their primary source of income.
Additionally, Kestrel, Eileen and Margot discuss Coyuchi's recently launched Coyuchi For Life program, which is a circular subscription service for linens. As they say, "new linens, no landfills". Coyuchi has collaborated with The Renewal Workshop to help close the loop on this project.
The below thoughts, ideas + organizations were brought up in this chat:
- Patagonia, Eileen's first job out of college
- Pottery Barn, Eileen worked with their team to bring organic cotton into their offering
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), an important standard for Coyuchi
- Fair Trade USA Standard, specific to factory workers - used by Coyuchi
- Fair Trade International, specific to farmers - used by Coyuchi
- Coyuchi For Life, their approach to transition to a circular business model
- Renewal Workshop, Coyuchi's partner in their circular program
- Environmental Working Group, laundry recommendations
Thanks for listening! Subscribe, download, and leave a review for Conscious Chatter on any of the below audio platforms. <3 Kestrel